Most people believe that caring for dentures is a tedious and expensive chore. However, you will be happy to learn that adequately cleaning your dentures does not take much time, and it is a low-cost way to protect them from stains. At Loukas General Dentistry in Park Ridge, Dr. Thanasi M. Loukas and Dr. Maria Loukas provide a variety of restorative, general, and cosmetic dentistry services, and they will provide you with dentures that are comfortable and easy to care for.
Collecting the Right Supplies
- Obtain a toothbrush specifically designed for cleaning dentures. Toothbrushes especially fashioned to clean dentures have bristles that can reach small spaces. Do not use a brush with hard bristles because it may erode the dentures.
- Avoid using traditional toothpaste on your dentures as it may scratch them. Dr. Maria and Thanasi Loukas can suggest a specific denture cleaner, but any denture cleaner with the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance is also fine.
- You may also use a small amount of dishwashing liquid or mild hand soap, but avoid most household cleaners that have chemicals that may damage your dentures.
- After eating, rinse the dentures to remove any food or small bits.
- Lightly brush your dentures with a denture cleaner or a mild soap on a daily basis
- Most types of dentures need to remain moist to maintain their shape. Soak the dentures overnight in water or a denture solution. If using a denture solution, remember to fully rinse the dentures before placing them back into your mouth.
- Don’t forget your natural teeth! Brush them as you normally do.
- Because your mouth and teeth may shift over the years following tooth loss, you may need an occasional adjustment. Schedule regular check-ups with Drs. Thanasi and Maria Loukas so they can examine your dentures and adjust them if needed. Adjustments will ensure your comfort as well as help stave off infections.
About Your Doctors
Dr. Maria and Dr. Thanasi Loukas of Loukas General Dentistry are trained and skilled at addressing complex dental needs. Located in the 60068 area, we serve patients of all ages from Park Ridge and the surrounding Chicago communities. To schedule a consultation, call us at (847) 696-1919.